Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Welcome to my first blog!



INTRO

    Hello everyone. My name is Joshua and I'm a New Yorker. English is my native language but I can also speak a little bit of Spanish. I'm currently a student trying to get my Doctorate's Degree... and... yes, I am a newbie in this whole blogging scene. So... please, be humble and feel free to leave any tips or comments that could possibly help me in making a decent blog.

     Now that we got the short introduction out of the way, let's get right to it. For the last couple of months I've been feeling really, really weird. But as I look back and ponder to why that feeling was occurring, the pertinacious notion that I'm getting is because of my soloist attitude towards learning all types of languages, cultures, traditions and societies in this bizarre world, and to me, that's kinda strange. Especially when my unrealistic goal is to learn every single language at least once. And who knows... maybe I'll commence with the popular ones and then transition to the rarest kinds. So if you're a language enthusiast like me, then you are welcome to follow me.


REASON FOR MAKING THIS BLOG

    At the beginning of this year (On New Year's Eve to be specific) I wanted to do something completely different. Something that's so challenging and so Out of the Norm. At that moment I just wanted to have a new type of experience in my life. I had a lot of projects in mind but just didn't know what to choose. It all started (Way before New Year's Eve) with my sister asking me about my life choices & future goals. Luckily at the time I knew what I wanted to do and that was to Teach Abroad. Now keep in mind, I'm still aiming for that goal. But a couple of days after that chat with my sis, I then began to read a few blogs about Japan and from that moment on, I've been stuck on those blogs and many more like crazy glue. The reason being was that these bloggers were both funny and informative, plus I learned a little about the society and its language called nee'hon'go (日本語). The attractiveness of this oriental culture lured me in like a bee to its honey and my gargantuan curiosity was leading me to the mentality of a stranger. It soon became obvious that there were major differences between the U.S. & Asian countries. Even at this moment I'm starting to notice a change in my personality. I can still remember the good dreams that I used to have about languages, where I would pretend to know every writing structure known to man and their sounds. It was like living the same life and with the same family but with a foreign perspective. In simplistic terms, I was hooked onto something and going somewhere.


THINK ABOUT IT...

    Imagine if the only language you know is American English, yet you wanted to know what a politician from the Middle-East was saying about the United States. Imagine if there was an asian woman with very little knowledge of the English language needing directions to the nearest hospital? What would you do? If you saw a little German girl who is lost at an amusement park, would you be able to talk to her? In other words, how can you ever understand someone if you don't speak their language? And sometimes when you allow yourself to live with this barrier, you'll eventually have to rely on other sources that might not be reliable. Just pause for a minute and think about it. The idea of taking any language and using it for any purpose can be an ingredient to so many opportunities. Imagine if you went to any country and then used its native tongue to analyze everything from their politics to their customs. Now that's a quest for anybody.

Expectations:
  • Daily Posts
  • Book Reviews
  • Pictures of Trips
  • Artwork of Language Fonts
P.S. Today was really hot.
 ¯\_()_/¯ 

No comments:

Post a Comment